The Telephone-Tag Solution
There’s an ugly voice-mail epidemic out there.
Let’s put a stop to it.
Numerous people are leaving voice-mail messages that go something like this:
“Hello, you have reached ____________. I am not at my desk right now. If you leave a message, I will call you back as soon as I can.”
Isn’t that just bizarre!
So 20th Century!!!
Clearly, a huge proportion of these people are either too lazy to update their phone-message or they delight in tricking callers.
Or, perhaps they do not know how to present an accurate voice-mail message.
Here is an effort at helping…’A Voice-Mail Message for the 21st Century‘.
“As you have noticed, I have not picked up my phone. Perhaps, I am not at my desk. Or, perhaps, I am making good use of my Caller ID service. If you are not my boss or our CEO or somebody in between, chances are very high I will not call you back. If you do not hear from me in 2 business days, please do not attempt to contact me again. My goal here is to waste no time; not yours, not mine. In case you are still on the line…for greater certainty:
- If you report to me, I hope your message is only good news…if so, I may call you back.
- If you are a co-worker, well you know enough not to waste your time leaving a message.
- If you are family, send a text message on my unpublished phone line and I will get back to you in a similar way.
- If you have an amazing new, cannot-fail idea…call one of my competitors.
- If you do not know me…wake up…get with the 21st Century and get off my phone system.”